It's that time of year again when I start doubting my homeschool abilities and consider putting my kids in "real" school. Woe is me. I can't teach. I'm tired of this. Help!
During the Divine Mercy Chaplet yesterday, this was my prayer intention. I need to talk to somebody about this for guidance. I'm not sure who to talk to about this. Who should I talk to about this? I'm once again torn. And on and on. FIVE MINUTES after the end of the Chaplet, one of my friends called me. Just the type of person who I needed at that time. She doesn't realize that the timing of her call was certainly "perfect." The timing often helps us to realize if it is God trying to tell us something. If her call had come at any other time of the day, I may have just dismissed it as just a friend returning a call. (I'd left a message the previous afternoon).
I told her what I was going through. She is also a homeschool mom. Her kids haven't always been homeschooled, so she can see both sides of the coin. She reminded me that I am not alone in my feelings. A lot of homeschool moms often doubt their capabilites as teachers and parents. Many feel "confused" about their role. I knew one mom a few years ago who gave up on homeschooling because she felt "unfulfilled" and "needed" to work, for herself.
I know that some moms don't have a choice. A lady in one of our homeschool groups was recently and unexpectedly widowed. That is completely out of her control, but now she has to work full-time to support her household and the kids are headed to public school next year. (Her 2nd grade son seems to be excited about it.)
My thoughts about the benefits of homeschooling haven't changed. They never do. I just do what my mom always told me not to do- compare myself to other people, other moms, other homeschool families. At times, this can be beneficial. However, when I start thinking, "Oh! Look at that family. They have it all together. Their children are brilliant and well-behaved. They are involved in so many things! They seem to get so much done in a day! Wow. We really don't cut it, do we?"
I have to remember that I'm not that mom. We aren't that family. Could I do things better? Certainly I could!!!
Well, I need to go feed the little people now. I will, hopefully, revisit this again soon.
THE ORIGINAL POINT OF THIS POINT, was the timing of my friend's call. Couldn't have been more perfect.
2 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment