Friday, August 29, 2008

My journey to Rome

I'd like to give a brief update on my Catholic journey. There is so much to say, that I'll just hit on a few things right now. We've been attending Mass since June (I think it was June). We've attended every weekend. Our family has gone to 3 Family Holy Hours (I had to miss the last one, but Bill & the kids went). Rebekah & attended VBS there in July. They are now attending "Religious Formation" on Sunday mornings. This is similar to "Sunday School." Neleh even left POOH BEAR BLANKET in the car this past week. (Not her choice, but she survived.) I've been participating in the RCIA program for about a month. I have a wonderful sponsor, Angie. She is helping to answer some of my questions and giving me guidance in some particular areas.

I've begun reading some of the "Catholic Bible." I've read the books of Tobit and Judith. I highly recommend Tobit! It was great! I discovered a chunk of Daniel which was SADLY left out of the Protestant Bible. EVERYONE should look up Daniel in a Catholic Bible. Turn to the story of the firey furnace. There you will see beautiful hymns of repentance, praise, thanksgiving and additional details of the protection of the three Hebrew children. I ran across it and was disappointed that I'd never read it before!

I am learning to pray for the help of the Blessed Mother Mary. I am learning to pray for the help of the Saints. It's like asking a friend to pray for you. I'd even go as far as to say that THIS WORKS! I prayed to the Saints and Our Blessed Mother about the fundraising yard sale for our friend Emily. We had a $1000 yard sale!!! I began praying over our school week last Sunday night. We've had a WONDERFUL WEEK! And I didn't want to stop praying to go to bed!!! When was the last time I experienced THAT?!?!? I can't remember a time that I didn't want to go to bed cause I was praying so much!

Mary is often a "sticking point" for non-Catholics. But if you look to the Old Testament you will see that Solomon actually set up a throne for his mother & she was a queen mother. She DID intercede for the people before the throne of her son. This is very similar to the view of Mary (at least in my mind). Any Catholic theologians can comment to this post and put me in my place if I am WAY out there.


Bill has been reading Catholic literature to me every night since the beginning of our journey together. We've read "Why Do Catholics Do That?", "The Lambs Supper", "Catholic for a Reason 2", "Theology of the Body for Beginners", etc. It is bringing us together as a couple as well. I am very excited about all of this. I read a blog post from a friend about the excitement of a little child over her faith. I feel like all of this is so new to me that I, too, am experiencing that excitement. I've been a Christian for a LONG time (my dad was a pastor so I say that I was a United Methodist before I was even born!!). Some of this "stuff" is hard to overcome. But I'm working on it...RATHER, GOD is working ON ME!

Thanks for reading. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer, it makes me so happy to read this. I am so glad that you are finding happiness and joy in your pursuits, and that this is something that you and Bill are truly experiencing together, each step of the way. God Bless and good luck in your continued pursuits.

    ReplyDelete