Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A Matter of Life and Death

Today, Tuesday, July 8, 2008 two things worth mentioning happened.

This morning, around 10:00 AM, I received a phone call from my Grandmother with the news that my Great Grandmother had died. Grandma Abbott was 94 year old and could still tell you many stories from her life. She lived a wonderful, long life. In the past year, her health had declined and she began to ask for prayers: "That the Lord would give me back my strength, or that He would call me Home. Either way, my HIS will be done." She told me this around Easter and had told others. I prayed this prayer for her. I asked others to pray this prayer for her. And now she is at peace. I am not saddened by her passing, rather rejoicing in the wonderful legacy that she leaves behind and thankful that her prayer has been answered.

This afternoon, around 1:30 PM, I received a phone call from my friend Sarah's husband (see their Boling Bunch Blog) with the news that Baby Caleb has arrived! They are doing well. I am very excited for this family.

Kinda makes one stop and think about things. Although Grandma has gone Home, baby Caleb has come to join us for his appointed time. All of us have a certain amount of time here in this life. I can't really put into words the thoughts and feelings that I have today except for JOY. True JOY comes from God. Knowing that God has answered the prayers of Grandma Abbott...Knowing that God has answered the prayers of many in the birth of baby Caleb...JOY. And with this JOY, peace.

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. -Phil 4:4-7 NIV

1 comment:

  1. Awww!! God is so good, isn't he? The circle of life idea has hit us as well, because Bryan's grandfather passed away about a week after Caleb was born. At the funeral, so many people were so happy to see a brand-new life there--I think it serves as a reminder that life goes on. You need to come visit us sooon!

    ReplyDelete