Catholic. I'm becoming a Catholic. "What on earth is happening?" you might ask. I've been United Methodist since before I was born 30 years ago. My dad was in seminary at the time of my birth and was ordained in the United Methodist Church. Dad died in 2006. Does that mean I am not free from the bondage of the UMC? I wouldn't put it that way. :-) Someone suggested that I am running away from the current situation in my local church. Or even "stuff" that I've read about happening in the denomination in general. I don't think this is a valid argument. Sure, there are plenty of reasons to run away from the UMC. However, it is less than running AWAY and more running TOWARD the Catholic Church. Why the Catholic Church? Good question. Ask God. He told me too. Kinda like the decision to homeschool - which will have to be blogged since I've been asked about it recently.
Bill was raised in the Catholic Church. He has seemed...well...restless in the UMC for a while now (say...5 years or so). For a while, he just didn't care at all. Apatheism, he called it. More recently, his Catholic roots have been showing. I'm not sure why, but they have. Our local Catholic radio station, 1380 AM, has been on in the car regularly. A year or so ago, I asked for a Rosary...mostly out of intrigue. He was more than happy to, and did the next day. It is very pretty. :-)
The current building stuff at our current church sure has ruffled our feathers a bit. The church's response to Bill's questions was not handled well...in our opinion.
Anyway - I was talking about the Catholic Church. I've really thought and even prayed about this. Seriously, PRAYED. I've even asked prayers from others over this matter. I've been to 3 Masses and 1 "Holy Hour" recently. Although I still haven't "caught on" to when I'm supposed to say what, I've really enjoyed myself. At "Family Holy Hour" on Tuesday, we felt very welcomed by the families there. Even discovered a homeschooling family. :-) The service was more relaxed than a typical Mass. Jill admitted to me later that it "wasn't as bad as I thought it would be."
I stopped by one of the local Catholic church buildings on Tuesday and ended up sitting amidst some trees on the property to pray. And I did. And God spoke. He said, "As for you, Follow Me." Not original, of course. You'll find Jesus saying that to Peter at the end of the Gospel of John. But that was a very clear Word to me, "AS FOR YOU, (JENNIFER)FOLLOW ME." Once I got that Word, I got up and went home. I'm still not totally sure why I was told that. Guess He means for me to listen to His call to the Catholic church and not listen to those who oppose my decision.
You may think I am crazy for saying that God spoke to me. Well, it wasn't a voice from the sky or anything like that. As I was babbling about in my prayers, picking the grass, watching cars go by, wondering why the heck I was there anyway...this message rang LOUD and CLEAR inside of me. Enough that I left as soon as I got the message.
God is calling me to the Catholic Church. I think a lot of it may have to do with Bill. I've been at the same UMC for around 15 years (off & on a couple of times). Kinda hard to uproot someone from that who is not willing. But now...I am being called to this, and so I will follow. I am very excited and scared about this calling. Bill seems very pleased that I am being led in this direction. I cannot speak for him and his feelings, but it looks like he feels more comfortable now...maybe not. I don't know.
There are many, many emotions surrounding this. To the point of tears. Yes, tears. I am taking this very seriously. Please pray for us.
2 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment