Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Van Rollover

Here's my version of what happened last Friday, 10/10/08...
The kids and I were going to the Louisville Zoo for a field trip with our homeschool group. Everyone was to meet at the front gate at 10:30 am.
We were on I-64 headed west to Louisville. Since the speed limit is now 70 in KY, I typically don't go above that. Seriously. Unless I'm passing a big truck and just get around it real quick, I typically go between 65 & 70 mph.

I was watching the clock to make sure we were running close to being on time. Seemed like we might be a little late if traffic didn't work in our favor, but we'd catch up with the group once we got to the zoo.
I'm pretty darn sure that I saw the clock around 10:00 am.

We were in Shelby County, just past Simpsonville. I try to let the kids know when we actually get to Louisville so they don't have to ask "are we there yet?".
I had not yet seen the Louisville Metro sign yet, nor had I seen anything about the Gene Snyder freeway. But we must have been close to the county line.

Around this time, I guess I was passing someone since I was in the left lane. I don't ride in the left lane most of the time. Just in passing. So I was either just passing someone or about to when I heard an interesting sound. I recognized it immediately..my tire was about to blow. I've never had a blow out on the interstate before. But not too long ago I had heard some folks talking about what to do when you do have a blow out. Calmly take your vehicle to the shoulder. OK. I was prepared to do so and began to prepare to get over. Indeed, the tire blew. I even said outloud, "My tire is about to blow, I'd better get over."

It's at this point that my memory fails me. I really don't remember what happened between that statement and "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" The kids tell me that I was successful in pulling us over. When we got to the shoulder, the kids say, they heard a "thump, thump" and then we lost control. I kinda wish I could remember that, but I really don't.

I DO remember tumbling though. Rebekah started screaming. I think I said, "It's OK to scream!!!" I recall seeing a busted windshield in front of me as we were rolling, or whatever was happening. We landed right-side up, thankfully. As soon we landed, I threw off my seatbelt and turned around to see how the kids were. They were stunned, yet ok. Becka mentioned neck pain. Once I saw they were ok, I realized that I'd bumped my head. Can't tell you when or on what. I don't know. I just know that it hurt!! I could see on my hand that some small pieces of glass decided to make a temporary home for themselves in my skin. Lovely. The inside of the car didn't look too bad to me except that the thing on the ceiling that holds sunglasses and such was no longer on the ceiling. I saw that the backpack was still on the floor where I had put it originally.

As I was turned around talking to the kids, I saw that a couple of cars had pulled to the side after us. A guy was running down the hill toward us waving his cell phone shouting, "I already called!!" (Whatever did we do before cell phones?!?!?!)
It was AMAZING how FAST help came!! Other than the bump on my head and the scratches on my hand, I didn't feel too awful. I was terrified that the windshield was going to collapse on me, though. The EMS folks came around to my door and couldn't open it. Well, duh. It was locked. I unlocked the car and they had no trouble getting doors open. (See, I still was thinking clearly!) Folks advised me to turn the car off and take the keys out. The van certainly wasn't running, but it was good advice that I hadn't thought of.

When the EMS folks came to check on me, I was still kinda turned around and holding my head. Must of looked pretty awful...yet it wasn't really. But everyone was yelling at me to stay still, so I did. They put collars on us all and strapped us to body boards.
(Let me say this. THOSE ARE VERY UNCOMFORTABLE for someone with a small build, such as I. I thought I was going to "die" from laying on that board for so long!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yikes.)
There were lots of faces above me. Apparently one of these guys was a doctor. It was a bright, sunshiny day, so I mostly kept my eyes shut. I was able to answer all of their questions about who I was(still am), where I live and all that stuff. I told them, "Call my sister!" My sister, Cindy, lives in Louisville, so she was certainly the closest person to attempt to get hold of.

The kids and I were taken away in ambulances. They were taken to Kosairs Children's Hospital. I was taken to U of L. Cindy was able to meet the kids at Kosairs soon after they got there. Neleh was bribed with a teddy bear to get her collar on. Not much of a surprise there.

I was loaded up and taken away. These people who are trying to help kept poking me in the stomach and asking if it hurt. OF COURSE it hurt! You people are poking me in the stomach!!! Guess if something had really been wrong, I'd be thankful they did that.
I had a great fellow named Woody who was caring for me in the ambulance. Again, I was able to answer all the questions about myself. Each time I answered a new question correctly, I was so thankful. I wasn't losing my mind...any more than usual.

He started an IV since he knew the hospital would want one available when I got there. Just gave me fluids. Woody was very friendly and I was lucky to have someone nice to talk to on the ride.

When we got to the ER, I saw many faces appearing and disappearing above me. Of course all I can really see is the ceiling cause I was strapped down to this totally uncomfortable body board. Seriously, if you are really hurt and aren't supposed to move, this would be a wonderful thing. When folks asked me if I was hurting, I couldn't give a valid answer cause I hurt ALL OVER due to that board!

Apparently I had shattered glass all over me cause that's what I kept hearing about.
When they took me into an exam room, they had to brush the glass off of me and off of the bed where it had fallen off of me. Doesn't sound good, but I couldn't see it. When they FINALLY took me off of that board, they ripped the strap off of my head and it felt like duct tape and that it ripped all of my hair out! Ouch! One of the nurses suggested that we should tape those workers heads to boards when rip of the tape so they can experience that.

Well, this has taken a long time to type out and there is much, much more to say. I'm going to have to save it for another time cause "recess" is over and we need to get back to school now. More later...

1 comment:

  1. WOW...craziness. I'm interested to hear the rest of the story. So glad you guys are ok.

    ReplyDelete